Artesana Boricuas' Corner

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Trust


Today I confirmed once again that no one can be trusted. My brother Lewis used to say that I was like Saint Thomas: "I had to see to believe." I can't help it, that's my nature. I'm very untrusting. I probably have reason to be. I'm not going to discuss my reasons here. It would be too long. But today I think I honestly tried not to be untrusting.

I was at my friend Johanna's house today when, out of the blue a relatively young woman opened the gate, came in, and sat on the sofa without even being invited in. She looked very untidy. She was offering a big heavy decorative gold edged plate for $3.00. Immediately I suspected it must be stolen. She also carried a small black briefcase box with a bunch of musical audio cassettes. Johanna, told her she didn't have any change.

So the woman told her that she would go to the grocery store nearby to change the bill and would bring her change back. She assured she was an honest person and would not steal. I kept my mouth shut, but was speedily sizing her up and thinking that I wouldn't trust her as far as I can throw a horse. But Johanna, a little doubtfully, went to her room, got the money, and handed her a ten dollar bill. The woman left the plate and the box with all the used audio cassettes. She said she'd leave them there and would take them when she brought the change.

I kept quiet, but was telling myself things like "if you think negatively, you will be right." So I told myself I would believe she was coming back with the change and I waited for her return together with my friend.

The minutes ticked by and turned into a half hour, and then an hour, and I finally said to Johanna: "Don't expect her to return with the change." "To her, right now, ten dollars means much more than some old cassettes." It was obvious she was a drug addict. Even Johanna knew that because she's seen the woman before. So why did she trust her? All one has to say is "I don't have any cash right now."

Personally I practically never have any cash on me because I pay everything with my ATH card. I keep my money in the bank so that I don't spend on things that really aren't necessary. It's a good way to save.

But once again I confirmed that no one can be trusted.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:52 PM, Blogger "Heart" said…

    I know exactly how you feel about not being able to trust, or, not wanting to trust. It seems that the vast majority of the people that I deal with in my customer service job are scammers and liars, and out right theives. How they can feel good about themselves at the end of the day is beyond me.

    But stop and think for a moment. Your beautiful friend, Johanna may not even know it, but one day there could be a blessing for her, for what she did. She will most surely live without that ten dollars, just as much as the thief will live with it. The key difference is, at the end of the day....Johanna can go to bed with a clear concious, and, no matter how she tries to dismiss her negative thoughts...the thief will retire to her bed a thief.

    I can't imagine a world where no one trusts anyone else. It would be the beginning of the end for all of us if that were true.

    I trust that you are my online friend. I trust that if I have a medical need there will be a Dr. at the hospital for me. I trust that if I pray, my Father in Heaven will hear me. I trust that if I give to others it will come back to me many times over.

    Johanna may have been robbed of her money, but in some way she will be rewarded back many times over for what she did.

    You are lucky to have such a giving friend in your life. She trusts you and you trust her...and that's awesome!

     
  • At 9:37 PM, Blogger CarmenIsie said…

    I think you have said great truths, Penny. I like the way you analize situations.

    Just today I was telling Johanna that I think God multiplies her money because she lives with a relatively small pension, yet her money lasts all through the month. She always has money for all her needs and to help others. I find that absolutely wonderful. I think she is already being rewarded.

    And you are right. I am very lucky to have her as a friend.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home